Sunday, September 23, 2007

Producers of Hollow Wavelengths,

Gravenhurst, a band from Bristol, fronted by Nick Talbot, are new to me. I first heard them on KEXP Seattle before that man, Gideon Coe of BBC 6music started playing new songs from the album, The Western Lands.

I do like a comical MyArse site; on this one, their music is described as being of the “Victorian Dancehall Horror-tronica” genre. The tracks are largely instrumental; Gravenhurst produce a sound that is large, dark and brooding. I like it because it doesn’t antagonise me. The vocals are classic indie vocals and although the songs mostly about death, largely by murder; the songs are somewhat relaxing. Keeping the murders on record and not on the streets must be a principle aim for the polis.

One of my favourite songs is the opener (so often the case for me, because that’s when I usually decide whether I will like something or not), Saints. It’s quite gentle in sound but I suppose it could be interpreted as being about taking drastic methods to enforce your religious heritage upon others, ‘murder ten to save a hundred, drown the whole world in my faith’ supports my argument.

Song Among The Pine is sparse in lyrics and music, just an acoustic guitar and some atmospheric effects. The lyric, ‘cold ash smother the fire’ is the main feature of this song as our protagonist wills his fire to die as he hides in his forest camp from the city life. I love the simplicity of the melody, despite the fact that it’s a bit foetal.

The lyrics of the songs probably stand up fairly well as poems. I especially like the words of Grand Union Canal:

I’ve walked every street in this city
I can’t find a way out
beyond these walls a clarion call
‘find a way out’
I have burned every bridge in this city
trying to get to you
while you are waiting for me
by a copper-blue sea
I am fading in this room

Outside of these words, the music is pondering time.

Gravenhurst are a band that I should have known about before now, they are quite magnificent and they deserve some decent sales on the back of this latest release.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter