Sunday, March 30, 2008

Putterers of Railroad Orchards,

There’s nothing wrong with daylight savings – in the “spring” anyway. The extra long day is a bonus. Another bonus is the return of satsumas to our supermarket shelves; in this age of globalisation, I wonder why we can’t source them all year round but I guess that it the answer is probably that a particular latitude is needed for satsuma growth and that is disrupted by careless positioning of the oceans.

Satsumas can probably make me healthy again. I think I have some sort of sinus infection and a cold. The extra daylight might help too. A doctor would be a last resort.

Every year, people debate the logic of moving the clocks back or forward. I like moving them forward in the spring so perhaps we should just keep doing that part of the bargain. We gain an extra day every 4 years (in a leap year), and by my strategy, we’d lose a day every 24 years. We can sort something out, make another change in the calendar or arrange for the Earth to go around the Sun at a different speed – whatever’s easiest (depends who is available to help out at the time).

It is wetter this year than it was at this time last year, I only remember because I was wearing football boots with hard ground soles at a similar time. Perhaps 2008 will represent a normal year for weather; it has been reasonably cold so far whereas in 2007, even January was blistering. Our climate is doomed so whatever solace can be taken from minor improvements must be appreciated.

My amateur footballing career goes on. After many years of injustices suffered on substitute benches, I vowed not to continue if my omission from the starting line-up became commonplace. Well, it occurs and it does rankle me. However, I have continued on due to the statistics. Whenever I have been a substitute, the team has always lost. I may be selfish but it’s a record I’d gladly keep up. Unfortunately, the opposite statement doesn’t hold (ie playing me does not guarantee victory) but I have been a part of all the best results and performances. This weekend we lost 2-0 to the best team in the league, we were unfortunate and I don’t think anyone was too disappointed about losing the way we did.

Daylight savings mean that midweek games can commence and Scottish football can all be condensed into a few more weeks such that we don’t play past May and into summer. We will re-emerge for action in the stormy months of winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter