Sunday, December 14, 2008

Commercial Breachers of Solitude,

As someone who isn’t really affected by the Credit Crunch yet due to my employment and residential status, I still act as if I am because the news talks about it so much. Coupled with that and a major case of fraud upon my bank account, I’ve not spent as much money as normal and I haven’t bought so many music albums, however, I make the exception for rare delights like Oh Mighty Engine by Neil Halstead.

In fact, I had forgotten that I had bought Neil’s album until a few weeks ago. After a night of terrible abhorrent behaviour from our delinquent neighbours, we resorted to our tried-and-tested mantra: ‘if we don’t sleep at night, you don’t sleep during the day’. Whilst brother was in, he used the new album by Po-faces. I ignored it manfully, for the greater good. When it was my turn, I started off with some Frankie Valli complilation, this was okay given my love of The Night, then I made the rash decision to put on Neil’s album, this did not work well with the subwoofers. Subwoofers were important for causing maximum annoyance and well, Neil Halstead is never going to annoy anyone, but even after changing over to Oh, Forward March! by Strange Death of Liberal England (my favourite album to play loud), I remembered to listen its predecessor in my CD player.

Like a nice piece of fudge, the album is lovely and soft, every aspect is gentle. Neil has a skill for rhyme and they characterise his thoughtful lilt. Neil was/is part of Slowdive and Mojave 3 If I were to compare, for my less trusting readers, Neil to anyone, I would say he’s like Jack Johnson for the non-supermarket music purchaser (coincidentally, he has toured with JJ recently). As far as picking a favourite track goes, it’s too difficult, they’re all of a high standard and the album has no low points. I’m grateful for having the opportunity to listen to and share Neil Halstead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter