Monday, September 29, 2008

Multicellular, Eukaryotic Organisms with Plentiful Nuggets,

Road deaths are due to increase exponentially. In a society where parents have no road awareness, there can be little hope for their children, and their children’s children.

It’s a simple lesson: stop at the kerb, look left, look right, look left again, once confidence that nothing is approaching, cross swiftly with all belongings, including children, that are desirable on the other side. I have had to avoid and become angry at parents who think that the world is one giant pavement and that they can stay on the road indifferently. As with no littering, road safety seems to be a social virtue that is no longer in fashion. These are traits that children copy from adults and at the root of the failure to act properly is a respect for others.

I’m not in the best position to teach safe behaviour given the events after a fire alarm at work today. No one takes fire alarms seriously unless they see flames. People are told to leave their belongings then exit quickly and safely, but in every workplace I’ve been in, people grab their coats and bags etc; principally, to stay warm, but if the alarm sounds for too long, to have all the stuff required in order to go home or away. When the alarm sounds, I usually leave swiftly; I take my jacket, and those of co-workers (because I’m nice like that), if they’re on hand and assemble at the named point. The alarm went off at 1645hrs, long enough for any delay in the fire brigade arriving to run into go-home time. The best thing to do would be to pack my stuff and go home, at the very least, take car keys - for somewhere to shelter – and swipe card – to enable access to my office on return to the building. In the panic of the alarm, I chose to take a cup of tea. It was just made, my instinct was not to waste the tea. I did imagine a tea-spilling incident on the stairs to the fire exit but I took that risk. Quarter of an hour later when the cup of tea was just a cup, I regretted my decision. I am reminded of For The Price of a Cup of Tea by Belle & Sebastian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter