Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Winnowers and Catastrophic Benignities,

I have pondered the issue of charity shops over the last while and the BBC series, Mary, Queen of Charity Shops sheds new light on the issue. I tend to rummage (the favoured verb) through the books in these stores, of course, I’m usually unsuccessful as I always look with favourite authors or specific titles in mind. This doesn’t surprise me; currently, my own books pile up on over-filled shelves, and whilst I do re-read some, I wonder why I keep them all. The need to have all these possession is perplexing.

I guess they exist as a history of what I deem important, they exist as books to be shared and to help someone else understand. I’ve never pondered paint colours for the walls, for in the next refurbishment move, the walls will be lined with books, as I make my home into a library. The books will help to soundproof my environment. Of course, my CDs compete with the books for space, but luckily, I’m quite good at discarding older clothes, despite being prone to buying things that I don’t wear for months after purchase.

The TV programme reminds us that charity shops face many problems. Mary seems quite incensed by the poor quality of donations, and she is right to some extent because it costs charity shops money to arrange special refuse uplifts for items that not fit for sale. The stinginess of the public in the affluent neighbourhood near Mary’s shop is also highlighted as they are shown to be unprepared to donate quality goods despite the fact that they might not use or need them any more. I wonder if there is some sort of repost in their local meedja, I would imagine someone might claim that the programme paints them in bad light.

The mentality of the charity shop volunteer comes under examination; some of these people feel that as they are volunteers, they do not really have to work hard, they lose sight of the fact of the need to generate cash for the charity, for their time is not enough to pay the running costs of the store. Mary is particularly harsh on them. I agree that the business has to be the priority, however, Mary forgets the important social aspect that these shops offer, many of these volunteers revel in meeting each other in store and keeping busy, but as always, I suppose effective and understanding management is the key, because space is at a premium and there’s no room for fudging or fighting.
This other article raises some valid points.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Retro Chick said...

I look for books in Charity Shops all the time, it's a great place to look.

It would be great if Mary Portas can help the Charity Shops make more money for their respective Charities. I just hope it's sutainable in the longer term

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter