Monday, August 14, 2006

Distant Cousins who Cherish Chiropterans,

After being angered into to writing angry letters, I was angered further when I found that someone had used up all my envelopes and stamps, but I bought some envelopes on the way to Perth – where I was headed to see King Creosote and the Fence Collective at Perth Theatre.

Perth Theatre isn’t Perth Concert Hall where I saw the Zutons. It’s a much smaller building in the High Street, it’s a typical, old-fashioned theatre with plush balconies and regal mouldings and crests adorning the arena. I aimed to arrive at 8.30pm and I did, it said 8pm on the ticket but usually with Perth Theatre or Concert Hall which are under the same Horsecross management, the bands don’t start playing until 8.45pm or 9pm. However, as I was being shown to my seat, I was disappointed to see Pictish Trail was just finishing his first set of songs.

Gummi Bako was next on stage. He played for a delightful half hour. He’s funny, his songs are funny and he was great to watch. His voices just make me laugh, but behind all the hilarity, there’s a genuine craft and talent for song-writing. It’s about time someone put him on the radio.

Mr Pictish came back for two songs which were very good, King Creosote played accordion on the second and afterwards apologised for the quality of his accordion playing, I couldn’t tell the difference, no one plays accordion these days, but he decided to persevere with it after the break and rightly so.

The shiny, red accordion was in use for songs Leslie (not Glenrothes, calling a song after the world capital of roundabouts would be silly, using the piddly town next door as a name is inspired), Russian Sailor Shirt and for the big favourite, Circle My Demise. KC was later joined by his band; Pictish Trail on guitar and vocals, Le Baron Rouge on bass guitar and On The Fly on drums. The banter between the band between and during (the rotten clapping of Twin Tub Twin) songs was brilliant. The venue was only half-filled, perhaps the rest of Perth had been scared off by the bat that Pictish had found a note warning of, but it was their loss. The night was lively but relaxed at the same time. KC ended his magnificent set with 678 – a favourite of mine, perhaps the anthem of my horrible finals time; at the back of my mind, I always thought that I might just get the 2:1 to launch me on my way to superstardom and the aid of our capitalist oppressors. Along with Gummi Bako, they encored with The Happy Song, the bat wasn’t blasted out but the satisfied crowd went home with their ears ringing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter