Saturday, January 13, 2007

Unquestioned Commanders of the Sinking Vessel,

Bob Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour isn’t worth the hype. I discussed radio a little yesterday. The once great BBC 6music bosses have decided to curtail Marc Riley’s Brain Surgery to two hours to fit in Bob’s show. Chopping a bit from Marc Riley’s show might not be a bad idea, but to replace it with the Theme Time Radio Hour is a bad decision. Firstly, I’m not stupid, I realised that it lasted 60 minutes and I was also aware that I received it using my radio. Secondly, I’m not stupid but not even I could understand what he was saying. He played some records (but it was difficult to make out what they were called), they weren’t spectacularly good, they were all linked together by his gimmick – the theme. Is radio in Britain really that bad that the BBC have to put on a show by Bob Dylan, who in terms of being a DJ and having the ability to pick some records is on par with anybody? I don’t particularly bear any grudge towards Bob Dylan, I didn’t used to like his records, but of late, I’ve really enjoyed his songs on the radio (I suppose it's part of my continual rebellion against silly guitar bands and lame electronic noodlers).

I listen to KEXP quite a lot, their DJs seem far more knowledgeable than our lot and they seem far more selfless. As for new music, the KEXP DJs seem to have a better handle on the best upcoming acts from Britain than the BBC DJs. It could be argued that DJs from these isles are restricted by playlist clerk but if they really cared, they’d stand up to the beaks. Where have all the renegade DJs gone? Also, there are no silly features on KEXP, all they ask for is requests. Quality items are few and far between on the BBC, some of their music shows might be better without making up silly features. I suppose the public only ever get what they deserve, I’ve never been one of them but I have to put up with the punishment they’ve brought upon themselves (This last sentence was inspired by the song You are the Generation who Bought More Shoes and you get What you Deserve by Johnny Boy, I’m listening to it now).

I couldn’t see the comet this evening either. It has rained for hours. East Fife played and were humiliated by East Stirling in said rain. It should be snowing and not raining. Climate change is rubbish, the only upside might be the loss of some parts of England, including London (where all the rubbish decisions are made), to the sea. Rising sea levels will only undo the work of the isostatic effects of the Ice Age here. Parliament will sit in my house, at what used to be the top of the brae down to the sea but is now the new beach, and we’ll decide which of the ships full of displaced Englanders to turn our missiles on and we’ll laugh at how they used to complain about inefficient reservoirs.

There was this man who wandering around at the match, he didn’t seem to watch the football or sit down. He kept staring at people. He might have been Woodcock of Elie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter