Monday, August 18, 2008

Desperadoes and Cut-throats of the Book Store Queue,

If I could imagine the perfect band, guitars (electric, acoustic and bass) and drums are the standard base layer and they’d be a given, some violin as expounded by My Latest Novel and others would be a must, a bit of Mick Cooke Belle & Sebastian trumpet might be nice, King Creosote-style accordion would be lovely, Ben Folds-type keys could help and I suppose a bit of cello could compliment the violins. The tunes would all be layered nicely, some would be thunderous and some would be gentle, there’d be waves of noisy guitars and they’d be sliced through with killer strings, trumpet or piano chords. I hope no one reports me to My Latest Novel but Broken Records might just be the closest thing to the ideal band I could imagine. I doubt there’s much chance of them teaming up with Sufjan Stevens soon, but on the plus side, there’s an equally small chance of them teaming up with The Zutons and adding some big, fat sax solos to their tunes.

I descended on The Liquid Room with a Kurt Vonnegut novel in hand, it’s the new fashion accessory that all the kids must have – it doesn’t have to be read, but everyone benefits from doing so, in time to miss the support band, Jesus H. Foxx, I’m sure that they’re good with their Pavement-esque tunes but it’s all the setting up that I find irksome and The Liquid Room isn’t a place that I like to spend any great length of time in.

The band came out to hearty calls from a healthy, mostly local audience. They played all their songs, they’re all online somewhere, either on MyArse or YerTube. A member of my class at yooni was indulging in some synchronised dancing with his partner throughout just 5 yards to my right, that is to say, 5 yards from a pillar near the stage. I was always going to be unlikely to approach and say. “Do you remember me?”, however, the prospect of interrupting his apparent hallucination of being at a Bay City Rollers concert made me even more so. I suppose their distinguished steps were one method of not staying affixed to the most sticky floor in the music industry at the end of the evening.

The band ended with their folk-punk showstopper, A Good Reason. The lighting work made for quite a spectacle; high frequency pulses of white light had an effect of creating a perfect rock flipbook of freeze frames for those who dared to look – the hypochondriac in me only allowed brief glimpses. Finally, latest single, The Slow Parade provided the perfect oscillatory relaxation to that event; it’s one of those great songs with a silence and a lovely recovery in the middle.

The band exited, the crowd lingered to chant, ‘One more tune.’ There was to be none but no one really left disappointed. They’re a relatively new band, perhaps they were out of songs, at a push, I suppose the crowd could have forced them to play a cover version, Since You’ve Been Gone by Rainbow would be my suggestion, but that’s my answer to everything, pop classics, Making Your Mind Up or Bye, Bye Baby might have suited my former colleague to my right.

I’ve wanted to see Broken Records for ages, and this is a strong contender for the best gig that I’ve ever been too, if it had been anywhere but The Liquid Room, it’d be the outright leader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter