Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Poisoned Wives Sanctioning Enunciation,

The heron had the docks to itself, with a buoy to perch upon it was the ruler of all it surveyed, when it dared to look.

Herons are one of my favourite types of bird, their regal crests and flexible neck mark them out as special. I was glad to see some sort of bird because the skies of Methil are becoming barren. In order to avoid becoming a couch potato, I embarked on a follow-up walk to Saturday’s sortie in Kirkcaldy; the town perimeter walk. I used to walk the dog around the town regularly, but since he left us, the town has become foreign. In many ways, most of the deterioration I saw incrementally has continued and that’s no shock – it’s the improvements that surprise me. They’re not always improvements, they’re efforts. It’s never complimentary when ‘effort’ is used as a noun.

The new houses encroach upon the River Leven to an extent that nearly all wildlife has disappeared, I saw a buzzard, a long-tailed tit and a woodpigeon. Further downstream, the council are building one of their viewpoints; this will be the most dismal viewpoint I can imagine – under a slowly corroding bridge, across a river that might occasionally be blessed with a swan, a mallard, an eider or a goldeneye, towards the back of a Sainsbury’s.

The town perimeter route that I was acquainted has been altered by East Fife FC’s new training pitch, they’ve turned some of the wasteland next to their stadium into a full size training pitch and it has been fenced off, blocking the route. The improvement to the grass should serve the team well, however, I did wonder if the club would ever develop an all-weather facility that it could rent to the public to increase their income and community involvement.

New building are springing up all around Methil docklands, the future for the area looks brighter than it has but if I was employed in one of the new quayside office blocks today, I wouldn’t have done any work. I’d have stared at the heron.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter