Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Variegating Dredgers Eliciting Majesty,

The vague drizzle failed to moisten the floppy fringes (should there have been any) or dampen the seditious air as we emerged from the Doghouse, Dundee, its only effect may have been to shorten the longest day by a few minutes.

My Latest Novel had just finished their set and I had just torn down a poster from the wall. The resolution of the poster printing isn’t good but it’s the principle of bagging them that counts and I have now doubled my number of successes.

Arriving at the Doghouse too early, the first support act was Elliot from the West, declared as a local man on his MyArse site, the opportunities to sit on a couch, play the Bullseye video game and to stand by walls outside were taken. I don’t wish to be too disparaging about Elliot, his songs and his guitar because I never granted him my attention like I maybe should have. I will never know if he is to be the new Bill Callahan or Andrew Bird, I’d perhaps settle for the new Samamidon.

Popolo were on next, my main task after entering into the arena was tilting my head in a way such that my eardrums would not explode. Their brand of strident, progressive three-piece rock was not expressed persuasively enough for me to ever wish to endure such pain again. Perhaps I should see a doctor about these ears, perhaps Popolo should think about the cultural significance of their ways.

My Latest Novel are a wonder. I am very familiar with all of their songs now but I never tire of hearing them. The vocal layering, ‘harmonies’ is perhaps not the right term, is perhaps the most striking feat; such different voices combine so well. I love the ideas behind their songs, whether they are inspired by an event, a legend or literature, and I think they are unparalleled in their scope. Their Doghouse performance was perhaps the most energetic that I have witnessed, and amazingly, despite such force, they still maintain accuracy of composition. They played seven songs from the new album, Deaths & Entrances, and Sister Sneaker Sister Soul and Learning Lego from Wolves. I think the highlight of this gig was perhaps Re-Appropriation of the Meme, as led by Gary Deveney, it’s today’s ohrwurm.

Sadly, the show could have sold more tickets, I estimate an attendance of 50 or so, and some of them clapped before songs were finished. Maybe the Scottish meedja needs to give My Latest Novel more backing, perhaps they will take more notice when My Latest Novel win the Mercury Music Prize, or the Halon Menswear Music Prize or failing that, something else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter