Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Replenishers of the Obstreperous Convolution,

I think Spring has arrived. My diagnosis was made yesterday when I stumbled across that smell that trees and plants seem to emit during the growing season. I can't quantify the annual emission pattern of biota but from my smell memory, it happens on summer mornings and seems to be enhanced by the presence of moisture. The moisture was not a refreshing dew but that commonly associated with rain. I really like this summer morning smell, I do not like the smell of Irn-Bru. A game of football (pictured) has no distinctive scent, it's important to concentrate on the ball and the sense of smell is not essential to on-field success
Now that has been clarified, I shall lament the end of Grandaddy. I first noticed Grandaddy at the time of "Now It's On", this epitomises the reason why they must now split. The album that track comes from is their penultimate full-length album Sumday, I had never noticed them before. I soon purchased their back-catalogue, it's littered with so many clever lyrics and they have the ability to convey a multitude of moods. I can't believe they've never enjoyed the kind of airplay that so many lesser artists thrive from. I'm not going to say Grandaddy are better than The Beatles, I don't know enough about them (my views on music from the past is probably best saved for another episode), however, upon hearing Grandaddy's cover of "Revolution", I was left feeling puzzled. Undoubtedly, it was worth lishening to, it was a great track but it didn't feel absolutely right. It's a cover version that is blatantly a cover version, I came to that conclusion not from prior knowledge of "Revolution" but because the lyrics weren't as good as anything Jason Lytle would write.
It's sad to see them split because they can't earn a living from the band any more. I look through my record collection and think who will be next. At least, they've made a host of brilliant albums before parting. I would imagine Jason Lytle's solo projects will be of a similar class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter