Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Denizens of the Thearchic Tundra,

Sometimes I walk away from a situation and doubt whether my behaviour was appropriate. I did so today after an exchange with the cashier in the petrol station, although on review, I think it was fine. I think I disgruntled the cashier when I laughed at the offer of a free Real Radio sticker for my car while I said, "No, thanks". In my defence, I was gobsmacked, she ought to have made a preemptive judgement- the hair that lacks the slightest hint of intention, the hole in the trainer, the jumper that missed its appointment with the iron - obviously, just the Nectar points with the fuel from pump 2 would have sufficed but Real Radio? Now, I'm beginning to doubt my ability to pull off the "indier-than-thou" look.
I'm still trapped in my room studying, with 6music helping to amuse me. I did go to the football on Sunday, I often feel these trophy presentations turn out to be anti-climaxes and this was no different. The game before was disappointing. The trophy presentation was made by HBOS' Howard and Billy Connolly; that's an odd couple, Billy Connolly gave a speech that was funny if completely irrelevant and self-indulgent. The highlights of the ceremony were seeing Tommy Burns at the game after his illness and Gordon Strachan paying respect to members of the catering staff, marketing departments, groundskeepers, receptionists and all the unseen servants at the club - he invited a member of each background department onto the pitch for the ceremony, which was a noble and unprecedented gesture in the SPL.
That evening, I ate a Terry's Chocolate Orange easter egg and large bar of Lindt chocolate. In general, I can eat as much as I want without ever putting on weight, which might be seen as an advantage until I bounce off someone else during collisions at football. I am partial to sweets, however, I do mainly just eat chocolate. I read some dubious evidence that chocolate is good for the body's health because it contains antioxidants and it's good for the teeth because it leaves a coating on the teeth that can protect them - this seems unlikely, nevertheless, I'm sure consuming a bar of chocolate is more healthy than eating some of the other sugary, brightly-coloured things. I also hate Cadbury's "chocolate" so that slightly limits the amounts I can buy, I like Lindt or Black & Green chocolate or, at worst, Galaxy. To counter-balance the intake of chocolate I did try to achieve the standards for the fitness tests that I passed on my way to the Bronze Duke of Edinburgh award (perhaps, the pinacle of all my achievements) of 100 sit-ups and 40 press-ups, I accomplished the former easily but I decided against the latter as my wrist kept clicking during the 13 I managed.
In order to attain the award, we also had to partake in an expedition: walk a specified distance to a campsite, stay the night and return to the drop-off point. We walked from Lawers along the banks of Loch Tay, and over Ben Lawers to Bridge of Balgie. We did not go over the summit of Ben Lawers (it's the 10th highest munro) but round its lower slopes. I'm not sure we legitimately completed the challenge, because overnight, there was a torrential storm and our campsite was flooded, conditions were intolerable, hence we were bundled into a minibus and taken home, instead of walking back to the drop-off point at Lawers. I trust that no one has told the Duke as I still have my award, furthermore, in our game of one-up-manship, the Duke deserves it for because he called once our town "a dump", maybe it is, but I'll apply the motto "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" to this situation.
Apparently, it's not 6Duke of Embra, it's 6music. 6music is a fantastic station, it has some faults, the playlist on the whole has many great songs but sometimes it can be a bit limited, as discussed in this blog. My favourite daytime DJ is Vic McGlynn, I think Vic understands more than the other DJs how narrow the playlist can be at times and she brings in something different with her "freeplays", usually some electronic sounds, instrumental tracks or foreign artists, I think she's already provided me with my record of the year; "Radio Protector" by 65daysofstatic. I usually stick with 6music all through the day until Steve Pac-a-mac, who in principle, is a great DJ, but in practice, he's a 90s anachronism, whose "new favourite bands" all sound the same. I'll tune back in for Dr Tom Robinson. Yesterday, I stuck with 6music yesterday until I had to run an errand when Pac-a-mac came on, when I came back I lishened to the end of MINT and the Blue Room via Lishen Again. My highlight of MINT was a track by Data Panik, I think I will grow to love this band as soon as they release more records.
Last night, I got bogged down buying CDs, it's an unfortunate addiction. I tried to buy Picaresque by Decemberists and the Semifinalists recent debut album on evilBay but only won the latter, such was my disappointment, I then decided to buy the former properly. I looked at the Rough Trade website and they were advertising a new Voxtrot EP, of course, I had to buy that and when I found that it did not contain the single, "Start of Something", I decided to import their debut EP. I'm already waiting on a replacement copy of Nada Surf's "Let Go", the first became worn out. I must calm down but I am due a tax rebate, so I may as well spend.
Finally, whilst discussing musicology, Simon and Miquita hosted their final Popworld on Saturday. They were brilliant, they understood the superficial and unjust nature of the music business and were quite smart in the way they used humour to highlight many of the idiosyncracies of the industry. Perhaps that is too polite a summation, they mocked ruthlessly as they should have, but they were also able to respect proper artists. Simon was joking with the Zutons and then both presenters had Snow Patrol creasing with laughter. Of course, the mockery was present again for Big Brovaz and some new dross dance act, Infernal, who coincidentally, were Callum and Eldred's record of the week, I despair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter