Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Neglected Massive on Their Merry Way,

I have survived the festive period. Last year, I said I would never do another. If I had the strength of character, I'd have gone away - left before Christmas and not arrived home yet - with a few books and a plan to stay in the spot where I landed until it was time to return.
For me, Christmas is about not offending anyone. I probably have failed to do that. Non-attendence was probably my crime on more than one occasion. At least, I didn't cause offence by words, although I did try mind games. Two sides of the family need to be appeased - the mother's and the father's - and they each root for their own. My job is to treat both sides with the right amount of contempt my parents deserve for causing the contest. I cracked when the job was half done and let my father win the contest - my least desirable, but always the most probable, outcome - by attending his side's Christmas dinner and not the other side's Boxing Day gathering. I haven't the stamina for tolerating fuss over a calender event.
In any case, I have to manage my metabolism during any holiday period. If I'm not burning energy, I have to reduce my food intake, otherwise I incur stomach problems. Perhaps I require medical attention. At this rate, I have little chance of gaining any more than 0% body fat (my dream).
I have spent most of Christmas watching football on the television, I've seen games for all sorts of leagues. I will use my experience when I resume my amateur football career - once the manager recovers from the harsh words I may have to gift him and restores me to the team.
At this time, as a football fan, things are in perspective. That's what they say, and it's true. Phil O'Donnell's death affects me. Phil was a great player for Celtic in the 1990s and he continued to be an inspirational player for Motherwell. The shock of the news is one thing to suffer and then there's the sense of loss.
2008 already seems different from 2007 but I'll still be hopeless in managing the events and appointments that have already begun to collect. Maybe I'll improve or become a more moderate person (although, that'd never be an aim).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter