Friday, March 13, 2009

Competitive Seeders of Cerebral Cedar Forests,

As a music lover whose collection begins in the 21st century, it’s perhaps unusual that I take delight when C86-type tunes are played on the radio. I can only give my opinion based on the myth I choose to believe without really knowing if I’m right, however, I think indie music was really indie music in the mid-1980s’. The indie pop of this time has a distinctive sound that I really love. People will always remember The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, but who will remember Felt or The June Brides? Most of my knowledge of the era is based on CD compilations.

There’s nothing like Penelope Tree by Felt on today’s radio. Felt were a huge influence on Belle & Sebastian. I guess Voxtrot are the closest sound to Felt, I based this remark on a comment I found on YouTube, I include it so that I can commend Voxtrot by association.

I was once told directly by a BBC DJ that Wild Beasts were today’s equivalent of The Monochrome Set, but replacing one set of idiosyncrasies with another isn’t enough, now the shine grows dim, change tradition for whim.

In many ways, it’s good that these bands are no longer with us, they’ve left something preserved in time and they haven’t stayed around to ruin the memory unlike Primal Scream. Everyone knows that they peaked in the mid-1980s, all they’ve done since is annoy us with Rolling Stones rip-offs and if there’s any band worth emulating, it’s not Rolling flamin’ Stones (they, of two decent songs: Paint it Black and Get Off of my Cloud (only because Mark and Lard used it on a sketch)).

I recently purchased Way Better Now by Speedmarket Avenue, I was quite taken by the similarities in their music to The Popguns of the mid-1980s indie pop/C86 generation. There is a review in Incendiary Magazine of the album, I disagree with many points.

The lad says that Sirens, the opening song is the best moment, I say let him believe this, it’s a great song, he writes “stirring slow-burner, heavily backed by synthesisers and excellent drumming. The band creates a haunting, fragile sound on this song, and there is an atmosphere about it that brings to mind a lonely walk on a winter’s day.” I think the review is written by someone with a taste for lo-fi music, and whilst I do like lo-fi, I think the mix of songs on this album is its strength and it was a wise choice to build from the sounds of Sirens.

The lad doesn’t like Accidents, the second track because of the ‘nasal whine’ of the second vocalist, I like it but mostly for the brass parts, these put me in mind of The June Brides, although the song may not be as upbeat as anything they’d deliver. He’s not a fan of the single, Way Better Now, but the song grabs attention because it’s a rocker and I like the lyrics, all questions, especially, ‘Is that the moral code you still care about?’, for no reason in particular other than I’m me. Don’t Fall in Love has a bit of the John Shuttleworths about it, although it does have a vocal hook in the line, ‘You’re so sick, you’re soon to die’ that catches me, it’s not that a good song and it fades lazily.

The song I play over and over is Enchanted and Left-wing Indeed, it’s a song about a domineering boyfriend who eventually ends the relationship. I suppose the lyrics could just about be applied to a terrible boss at work or an awful football coach, but things haven’t got that bad for me yet. The Popguns-like style vocals and the retro keyboard intro are the simple but charming features that appeal to me.

The delicate balance of the styles on Speedmarket Avenue's album rekindles the true spirit of indie and keeps me amused and after all, I’m one of the those barometers of quality and taste. I have just remembered Goldrush and their song, Wide Open Sky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter