Saturday, August 14, 2010

Vituperators of Nocturnal Celerity,

This week has been one of mere existence. I did my first ever night shift. I had worked late in the yooni labs on several occasions but it doesn’t compare to a week of night shifts.

The week begins on Monday morning and I find myself at a loss. With the first shift some 13 hours ahead of me, I don’t know what to do. I hadn’t thought about what to do. I now know that it’s a weekend day. Of course, I had to sleep a little. I cycle to work in the rain; I take the hazardous route as I know that neds aren’t waterproof. I am slightly early and I chase my colleague off to his bed. It’s just me and the book. Being on my own, the book is effectively my boss. There’s no one to approve my work, and being a rookie, I found this strange. I know what is right and what is wrong but I have no sense of what is too much. I work through and only stop to have breakfast near the end. I know am making tiny errors and I feel myself slowing and I wonder.

I go home and sleep three hours before my neighbour decides his lawn is out of control. I decide to prepare for winter and buy bicycle lights. I reserve them online to ‘save’ £30. How many terrapins can I buy with that sum? The front light shines 15 lux bright and I decide to learn about the units light is measured in using Wikipeedja. I find this measurement and application ambiguous; perhaps I have to consider the area of the beam produced. I think I’d feel safer with 50 lux – a livingroom on two wheels. I go to work and find the work I didn’t complete the night before still there, two shifts later. I carry out work on five projects and I wonder.

I sleep six hours and am pleased. I wake and decide that today I will fit the bicycle lights. I read before going to work.

I sleep six hours and then have toast. I take books to the charity shop for the first time. It proves to be a painless experience. I wander past Ottakars and see an attractive book as part of a 3 for 2 deal. I am pleased to find a second book, one I have been meaning to buy for ages as part of the deal. I spend 45 minutes looking for a third. I return home and offend. I go to work. I am followed by a gang of uncouth youths on their bikes, thankfully they give up and I am no longer Morrissey. I have nothing to do for an entire shift, I am merely a nightwatchman.

I sleep for seven hours and have yet more toast. It’s three o’clock on Friday and I still have an entire shift to go. The lag and the disorientation are unbearable. I play football but in the evening but I feel as if I am carrying an extra weight. I go to work and surprise my superiors with my efficiency. It would be Monday before I am told this. I finish up as the weekend overtime workers filter in but I don’t know that the worst part of nightshift is yet to come – the readjustment to normality.

It’s Saturday night and I am ready to go to work, instead I have to go to sleep, such is the convention amongst our society. I fall asleep at 0400hrs. I wake at 0900hrs to play football and I feel the worst I ever have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter