Saturday, July 15, 2006

Cumbersome Triangulaters Upon Logy Days,

Musicology is something that I like to dabble in, I hear songs on the radio or occasionally MTV2 and if I like them, I buy the album.

Released on Type Records, Eingya by Helios is a worthwhile record. I originally heard a Helios record being played on the soon-to-be abolished Blue Room; this information will provide a better idea of the album’s sound than my description. Keith Kenniff, the man behind Helios, has created a chilled ambience record, using piano, guitar and electronic sounds and for my money, it’s better than Will Bill Orbit’s stuff.

Love is All are punk-funk exponents from Sweden and they’ve recently released the album Nine Times That Same Song. I do love an album that is described by its title (see Derdang Derdang by the Archie Bronson Outfit) but this gimmick could never be universally adopted, there’s are only so many ways to label the items in the Oasis back catalogue as “dross”. I was taken by Love is All after seeing the video for the single, Busy Doing Nothing, on MTV2; it seemed like rather good fun. I don’t really know what they’re singing or screaming, that’s punk, but the big fat sax throughout adds to the occasion. It might be Nine Times That Same Song and it might be true to say Love is All are one-trick ponies, but if the trick's that good, they'd be silly to do otherwise.

I was never going to not like Aberfeldy’s new album, Do Whatever Turns You On, but that’s not because I’m some blinkered zealot or because I won a copy from the Mark Radcliffe Show. I always take this type of band to heart, the multi-instrumental indie-pop kind. Young Forever, the debut album, was filled with plenty of catchy riffs and great lyrics, some would say twee – I like twee. The follow-up is different, its leading single, Hyponotised and the title track are of the typical Aberfeldy mould (if there is such a thing after just one album) – with the superb backing-vocal harmonies – but the rest of the album relies on more on synth beeps and riffs than its predecessor. It’s a pity that there’s no Ladybird Arc on the album, but it’s still a fantastic listen and they’re definitely worth seeing on their upcoming tour.

I needn't have to alert people to the existence of YouTube, but there Aberfeldy clips are on there and if possible, in between watching the clip of the best bit of Deliverance or Belle & Sebastian performing Electronic Renaissance, watch them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter