Saturday, September 09, 2006

Masticating Exultant Arthropods,

The first record I ever bought was The Decline of British Sea Power, this was released in 2003. This seems a bit late in life to have purchased my first CD, but I didn’t like music until just over a year before that – probably because I didn’t know what music was, I was only exposed to mainstream pap. I started paying attention to proper music through the freeplays of Mark and Lard once I had eventually discovered their shows, which, again, was too late in life.

I managed to see the lads responsible for that first CD at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut in Glasgow last night. It was my first visit to this venue, it’s amazing. I was shocked that a venue so legendary could be so small, but I’m a rookie.

Supporting British Sea Power were the Seal Cub Clubbing Club and Firebrand Boy. Seal Cub Clubbing Club were alright. My first thought was that these guys could be Interpol with a bit of refinement, this thought lasted between 10 and 20 seconds. They can’t be pinned down; every song seemed to have a different style. The faster ones were more enjoyable; during the slower ones, more attention is drawn to the singer’s voice which isn’t remarkable. They were nice enough but I wonder if they’ll ever be anything more than a perennial support band.

Firebrand Boy replaced Field Music on the bill, which was a disappointment. Firebrand Boy are two guys, a guitar, laptop named Fred and a Gameboy. It was beepy stuff, they were okay, although having recently seen Flying Matchstick Men, I don’t think they compare favourably. It was better when the one with the guitar didn’t sing. How does somebody produce original music using a Gameboy? Would a song be ruined if Mario was killed by a Koopa Troopa? (This is too far into the territory of the geeks, I’m merely an oddball and I didn’t even do Nintendo.) Firebrand Boy collected some polite applause and some boos.

By the time British Sea Power arrived, we had migrated to the upper level. The lower level was too cramped. The upper level soon became a bit crowded, it was difficult to see from behind the mixing desk and the people behind it. We eventually managed to find a space standing on the benches along the back wall, this space was vacated by everyone else because it was below the air-conditioning unit, thus we were maintained at around 4oC for the rest of the gig, but at least we could see the stage, glorious in foliage.

British Sea Power were great, they’ve restored my faith in 4-piece guitars and drums bands, or maybe they haven’t, maybe they’ve just reminded me that British Sea Power are different and much better. I don’t want to hear any more of the insipid drivel that the radio stations peddle. There’s little I have to say about British Sea Power, people should already know about all their great songs and then find out that Noble performs diving headers into the microphones and dangerous leaps from the onstage furniture.

1 Comments:

Blogger K A Hunter said...

I have no idea what the first record I bought would have been. I used to buy singles for 10p from the bargain buckets in Arnott & Simpsons and Woolthworth in Argyle Street in Glasgow. I had no record player, and when I eventually acquired one for my 13th birthday, I discovered that all those records were unplayable (hence their inclusion in the bargain buckets, no doubt). I have to say that the first functioning record I bought was "Whispering Grass" by Windsor Davies and Don Estelle. Shoulders back, lovely boy.

If I had a pound for every time I picked up "Decline.." and put it back down again, refusing to believe the hype, I'd have quite a few pounds. When I finally bought it (at a knock-down price) it changed my life. My first exposure to their live experience was in April of last year, and I left the Liquid Rooms with one thought - "What's next?", and some 6 weeks later I found myself in Newcastle. It just spiralled out of control from there. As much as I enjoyed that night in Edinburgh, I am pleased to report that I have seen them play better, and you will, too, if you go again.

Here is my assessment of the evening, written the morning after (apologies, not to insect life, but for the insular and incestuous BSP-forum references):

"Setlist as per Oxford and Leeds.

Nobby announced new and old songs by writing "new one" (or something, I couldn't see) on one hand and "old one" on the other. The Precision had to be substituted again, for at least the third time this week, and Nobby and Woody had a couple of equipment malfunctions, too.

From where I was situated, the boys seemed a bit tired and not as enthusiastic as the previous three nights, but few in the audience would have noticed anything, as there was much over-exuberance, particularly from FulmarOil, who spent the entire set bouncing about like Tigger. He gave Nobby his hat, and I think he was rewarded later by having Nobby hit him on the head with Yan's guitar. I was glad I stayed at the back, as those cretins who were the main source of annoyance at Belladrum and the QMU were in attendance, though they were at the barrier, and could only injure themselves this time. They seemed satisfied with their haul of branches and a banana signed by Nobby, though one tried to sell the banana to Lady Muck. I hope she had the sense to decline. Typical mixed Glasgow audience of enthusiastic eejits; confused, casual viewers; the genuinely interested and the scum of the earth, who just get shit-faced and talk or shout through the set or try to ruin everyone else's evening. And to think that there were real fans who couldn't get tickets for this.

Firebrand Boy were OK, if a little loud, and I managed to miss the SCCC again.

The first part of LOFDS/Boss/whatever it's called has grown on me immensely in the last week, and I don't think it needs the other bit. However, I, and a few others, are wondering about Pelican's viablity as an actual song. As a precursor to any mayhem, it's ideal.

Anyway, at least I'll soon be back in England, where the people are a lot more civillised."

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter