Thursday, April 19, 2007

Subjects of the Accordion Maestro,

I don’t know the entire history of Bright Eyes, it seems to be the way of things that the music of some artists doesn’t cross the Atlantic as quick as they should do, by that I, of course, mean reach me, it looks like it can take them about 4 or 5 albums before they do. Having bought both of the last two Bright Eyes albums, the two released on the same day (Digital Ash in a Digital Urn and I’m Wide Awake it’s Morning), and thought them both wonderful, I expected more from the latest release, Cassadaga.

For me, I’m Wide Awake it’s Morning especially was a masterpiece; musically superb with lyrics that were told gripping stories or offered clever comment upon the harrowing state of the world. I want to like Cassadaga but whilst I can appreciate the tunes albeit in a country-style and the composition, I just don’t think that Conor is saying anything different or adding more to what he said on the last two albums. The opening track, Clairaudients (Kill or Be Killed), features the tape recordings of a conversation with a spiritualist (or the like), it’s a bit annoying and grates against the music. Four Winds is an excellent single with lively, country jaunty bits worth courtesy of the strings, these hush down to let Conor do his thing (the startlingly sobering tale with small glitches of hope just peeping through) in between. Soul Singer in the Session Band is equally fine, it has those small quips he does like the “post-modern author who doesn’t exist” in it that I think are very clever. Hot Knives has good lyrics, I like these kind of paradoxes, “The world was not of interest though her days were never dull” but the music lets them all down, it’s a bit underwhelming and quiet. In fact, there are great lyrics all through this album and I’m annoyed that I can’t like this album as much as they deserve me to, it’s the slower, quiet songs like Make a Plan to Love me and Hot Knives that seem to rely too much on the quality of the lyrics, they dwell upon them. The lyrical quality can still shine through on faster songs, Cleanse Song has a bit of an upbeat, Latin feel (oh, that percussion), it’s about dreaming and journeys to clear the mind, “your wife gave birth to a funeral dirge, You woke up purged as a wailing infant, In Krug Thep, Thailand”. I Must Belong Somewhere is a work of genius (again it’s a bit faster), it’s one of those great songs about mortality and existence, “Leave the scientist in the Rubik's cube, Let the true genius in the padded room remain” and many more of these lead to “Everything it must belong somewhere, I know that now, that's why I'm staying here”. I think that in this last paragraph all I have done is argued with myself, so in hindsight, it looks like half the songs are truly amazing and long-term, I might consider the other half to be equally great.

I doubt anyone would be pleased if I was to say that their record was something just to put on in the background. It’s not an insult, I’d buy something deliberately so that I could put it on for background atmosphere, as something that created a calming mood and something that doesn’t intrude. It’s difficult to say much about 23 by Blonde Redhead, it gives the room a chilled, relaxed feeling. I’ve liked this New York band for a while, this could be their best yet. The songs are pleasant but forgettable – they’re not what I’m studying. It’s a fabulous record and it does what I ask of it.

On the back of a few fabulous radio sessions, I decided to purchase In Bocca al Lupo by Murder by Death. There are some good, old-fashioned ballads at play here. They’re in a dark, punchy country style. The standout track is probably the lead song of the album, Brother; it’s about a rubbish brother, the narrator knows he is lousy but he stands by him. This is surely relevant to almost everyone; everyone regrets that it’s possible to choose friends but not family members.

The other great thing that I must mention is that I bought a promotional copy of That Summer at Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy by The Twilight Sad ahead of the album that promises to be stunning, Fourteen Summers and Fifteen Winters. The seller wrote “Kingdom of Fife” on the envelope despite me specifying my address as “Fife”. Our ruling monarch, King Creosote has been recognised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter