Sunday, May 20, 2007

Friers of Fractal Minds,

I feel that I’ve had so little time this week. I haven’t had the energy to do anything with it. I’ve only managed to see Scotland Today once this week, and such is my luck, on that occasion, it was the hugely irritating Suzi Mair who was presenting the “News From the East” section of the programme.

I cannot complain about my ailments. They’re arguably self-induced; from too much football. Mother’s broken foot trumps them. Brother and Father continue as normal, they have made no changes in their schedule to accommodate her misfortune.

The attitude of people to recycling continues to annoy me. I believe the example of our house is probably all too common. Despite the fact that I’ve stated that I would manage the situation, the rest of them don’t care for it. I recycle things that I find around the house. I don’t know if they realise that I do. They throw my collections of bottles and cans that I usually take to the recycling points (which are at either end of our street) into the main landfill waste bin. Father seems rather proud of the fact that we can limit our waste to just one wheelie bin load for the two weeks between collections. He seems to ignore the only reason why we can do this: me recycling. It’s almost secret recycling, they won’t help me and when they find the collections they complain and dump it in with the rubbish to go to landfill. He says waste segregation is a good idea in principle but that it’s too difficult for people to do. I can’t understand this; there are recycling points everywhere. My main motivation for recycling is my hatred of landfills; they are hideous and they stink. We really have to limit the number of these that we’re going to need. I’d hate to live nearby one. Of course, there are obvious energy-saving benefits in recycling. Regeneration of metal from recycled materials consumes about 10% of the energy that mining ores and conversion to metal does. I’m most concerned about wasting metal.

I’m also really sick of plastic carrier bags. I’d ban them. They’re forced upon us by over-zealous checkout assistants. I tried to tell the assistant last week that I did not want a bag and that I’d manage without one. She argued that I would need one specifically to keep the just baked rolls that I’d bought warm. I think we should ban them for a while, at least until we all work our way through the collections of them that we have at home.

It’s anarchy out there. A snapped shinpad sustained in Wednesday’s less than appealing match is only a small piece of evidence. No one cares anymore. I went to have a puncture fixed on the front left wheel of my car. After telling them that it was the front left to be sorted, and also replying to the question they asked to make sure of what wheel was to be repaired, I was told to come back in 30 minutes. Upon my return, the puncture was not sorted as they did not know which wheel had a puncture in it because the pressures were the same in all the tyres. Obviously, I’m not going to drive around with a flat tyre, thus I had been repeatedly maintaining an air pressure suitable to drive with. I had to re-iterate that the front left wheel was damaged and wait further. Shoddy service seems to be everywhere.

The worst is yet to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter