Saturday, May 05, 2007

Good Pigeons of Yesteryear,

I think this is the first time in 2007 that I have hailed an album as a work of genius. I mean it, I really do. The album in question is called No Shouts No Calls, I’d be happier if there was a comma in the title, but the band that we have to thank are Electrelane. According to MyArse, they are a band based in Brighton, consisting of four ladies. This is their third album, which means that I must find out about the previous two. They have toured with some other bands like Arcade Fire.

This album has to be heard to be believed, there’s patches of Stereolab (but slower, done with instruments and English), that Arcade Fire sound (anyone with strings gets lumped in that category) that everyone is going for at the minute and at times, the album verges upon classic 1980s-style jangly indie-pop. The keyboard playing is supreme, I can’t quite identify the tune that it sounds like in parts, I keep coming back to Groovin’ with Mr Bloe. The vocals are meaningful; drawn-out and yearning. Everyone should be owning and playing this album, yet I have only heard Electrelane on the radio three times, I decided to follow them up after the first time. To The East is a strong contender for the single of the year, list makers should take note, “the east means so many things”. This album is an instant success, in my head anyway.

Another album that I’ve recently purchased, on the basis of hearing it played in Fopp, is The Pirate’s Gospel by Alela Diane. It’s a re-release with extra tracks, on a different record label and for the British Isles. It’s another case of mystery over why I’ve never heard of Alela before. This is a truly wonderful album and for as good as Joan As Policewoman and Joanna Newsom are, Alela Diane walks all over them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter