Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Gannet Beheaders Scheduled for the Cobblers,

I’m sceptical of 3for2 deals or the like at Ottakars, Waterstones and WH Smith. I fear that everyone will end up reading the same books because it’s always the same titles that seem to be included in the promotion, nonetheless, it’s hard not to be sucked in. I’ll see one book that I want, somehow one becomes three. They’ve won and I’ll have a stockpile of books that I’ll take months to get through.

I always judge a book by its cover. Findings by Kathleen Jamie has a magnificent image of a peregrine falcon on its cover, although it does make the bird seem larger than it would be in reality. I was also rather voyeuristic when I chose this book, I wanted to know where Kathleen lived because I wanted to know where I would see peregrine falcons in the Kingdom of Fife.

Kathleen Jamie lives in the Kingdom of Fife and Findings is an eloquent account of what she sees in everyday life. Every day is not retold, that would be tiresome, it’s more like The Bellyaches, special days are conveyed or the story is picked up and a short series of days are recounted. I’d love to write a book like this, the author simply observes, recounts and ponders what she sees. Initially, the falcons nesting nearby are the focal point along with some ospreys (ospreys in the Kingdom, remarkable) and they are referred to as Kathleen goes about her life, looking after the family. Further on, other wildlife takes precedence as Kathleen travels around Scotland. It’s a great idea for a book and it’s well executed. My version would probably focus on horrible neighbours, the postman, the window cleaner and the seagulls and starlings that defecate on the washing. It’s simple. The book resembles a great blog, the reader can dip in and out, it is meaningful and meaningless. Kathleen Jamie has a fantastic ability to contextualise what she sees and relate it simply and clearly. Findings should make us pay more attention and live life at a better pace. This book should be more useful in England.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter