Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Children of Earth,

This relative downtime in the record shop has given me time to listen back to things I may have missed from 2007. A round-up will follow. First, I attempted to like Robbers & Cowards by Cold War Kids. I love the song Hospital Beds, I love they reality and the moody piano of this one. I desperately want to like Cold War Kids, they have a great song, they have a great name, they pitch their piano perfectly and their compositions are generally excellent but their singer just has a voice that I can’t take. I can tolerate him whining about the Hospital Beds although I just about lose my acceptance of the number when he sings “fish and chips” in this very song. I moved on to A Weekend in the City by Bloc Party, I also desperately want to like them and I admit that they are good but I just wouldn’t choose to listen to this record when it’s amongst the choice that I do have. Their guitar-laden tunes are often too hard and quick when all I want is the ambience, the wistful ambience of the person I am. I like the idea of Bloc Party more than I like their sound, they have a great image (You wouldn’t slate them for wearing silly shoes if they said their shoes were comfortable (this isn’t about shoes)).

I made a note when listening to the Bloc Party album. It read “Records with bird/nature sound effects are very annoying”. I looked towards the window, which is a small portal along the roof in my bleak office cubicle and saw that it was grim outside. There definitely were no toucans out there and I felt depressed. I really haven’t been inspired by music lately except in one instance, where there are definitely no macaws: the Apollo 13 soundtrack.

Apollo 13 is my favourite filum alongside The Truman Show. I hate filums, they are too long but so it is an honour for all involved in these two pieces of art. I was watching Three Men in a Boat Again (or something to that effect); a light-hearted couple of programmes where Rory McGrath and Dara O’Briain attempted to help Gryff Rhys Jones win a yacht race. It was a really amusing show and it was educational. I don’t see why the BBC doesn’t turn more airtime over to intelligent people (George Lamb must would be the first for the chop). As the three in the boat when from sandbanks to weaving madly about the shipping lanes in the channel, some music from Apollo 13 was played and that’s how I came to buy the Apollo 13 soundtrack.

The music is wonderfully composed by James Horner, it is beautiful and dramatic, it inspires its listeners to have pride in the astronauts. Astronauts were military pilots and the music has that regal feel to it too. As well as the orchestra, there is some dialogue from the filum including the memorable lines such as; “failure is not an option” and “Houston, I’m hungry”. Additionally, there are some of the pop tunes from the era of the Space Race and from the filum; I think I finally found a James Brown track that I can like, it is Night Train amongst the classics from the likes of Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane and Hank Williams.

I think it’s a gem. I now have the DVD, the book and the soundtrack – can I buy any more Apollo 13 junk?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter