Thursday, January 17, 2008

Entranced Bulbs Sprouting Edible Kernels,

Today has been alright. I considered the merits of 6 albums whilst thinking about eeny weeny molecules, whilst sitting at my desk, which is under the hole in the roof, freezing and waiting for the rain to begin pouring through. At times, I wore my scarf, in between those times, I heated my scarf on my radiator - my only solace except from the my sandwiches and the hidden delights of these 6 records. In hindsight, it wasn't really okay.

Firstly, I must apologise as I inferred, in my message to the Children of Earth, that there was no bird sound effects on the Apollo 13 soundtrack; there is in fact some chicks chirping at the end of one of the pop tracks.


I was really looking forward to LP by Holy Fuck. I am not offended by swearing, I just do not see the need yet I do feel awkward padding Holy Fuck into an internet search engine. Gideon Coe and KEXP played the track Lovely Allen quite a lot. It's truly marvellous. It fades in with Grandaddy-like bouncy keyboards and then a synthesised violin sound, the track is full of flourishes and it reminds me of Penguin Cafe Orchestra. I can imagine this track being used to soundtrack the fast-forwarded clips of flowers and plants growing and blooming on nature programmes. It's one of the best instrumentals I have ever heard.


The album isn't bad but it disappoints me. Holy Fuck are an instrumental experimental electronica outfit from Toronto and to think that they are capable of Lovely Allen but haven't anything else that comes close to it on this release saddens me. The other eight tracks have a beat, that's all I hear; they don't have the structure or the sense of progress and adventure of the lovely Lovely Allen. If I wanted a beat, I'd throw on some Stereolab.


All is not lost because it is possible to listen to Lovely Allen more than once. More reviews shall follow and they will be more ridiculous than this effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter