Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Drivers on the Sopping Road,

It has rained all day. There are puddles all over our country roads.

I finished work at the yooni around 4pm, I had finished pushing the back the boundaries of science for the day. It was a reasonably smooth day, except for another run-in with the man who mans the store. I have never had a problem-free transaction with this awkward fellow. He still refuses to admit that I exist and will not allow me to charge anything to my account, every encounter leads to me finally submitting and charging goods to my colleague’s account.

I left early to package the broken laptop so it could be sent for repair. I like driving to the speed limit and I like putting the car into 5th gear; once it’s there, driving becomes simpler. I grew cranky about an R reg Fiesta travelling at 35mph in front of me (barely enough for 5th gear), I was reluctant to overtake because the roads were laden with water. I never want to make the mistake of aquaplaning whilst overtaking again. I eventually rid myself of it on one of my usual overtaking spots that was safely dry.

For some reason, I concentrated very hard on my driving tonight. Bob Dylan was on the CD player. A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall he sang; meaningless words when later uttered by Bryan Ferry.

Then I passed what was surely an accident that no one could have survived from, three cars had all stopped on the tight bend outside Craigrothie; one car had drivers in tears of distress, the other two had drivers on the phone. Around 20m inside the bend, upturned in a field, with smoke billowing from it, was a car. How it made it so far into the field, apparently without touching the ground (there was no sign of damaged crops), is a wonder. I drove past, I did as much as I could; I flashed my hazard warning lights to all oncoming traffic. On I went, feeling guilty about my frustration at the Fiesta driver, this lasted until I was stuck behind a Skoda Fabia travelling so slow that I had to go into 3rd gear on a 60 road.

If I had left work earlier, perhaps if the man in the store could have conducted himself properly and we could have foregone the debate, I could have been part of the accident. Driving is dangerous. It’s anarchy out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter