Thursday, February 22, 2007

Torpid Captain and the Usurping Deck Hands,

It was a really special moon, a crescent was illuminated fully but the curvature of the sphere could be seen. I like when the moon can be sensed as three-dimensional.

It was a proper European night at Parkhead, previously in the group section of the UEFA Champions League, the atmosphere inside the stadium have been underwhelming. FC Copenhagen and Benfica were arguably lesser opposition, whilst I found the atmosphere during the match versus Manchester Utd. affected by the kind of vile, sectarian hatred that only the English or Rangers would bring.

The Meelan fans were quite something, they opted not to sit, they seemed to bunch at the front of their section of their stadium. Banners and flags are very rare in Scottish football these days, so it was fab (it’s the latest buzzword sweeping the swimming pool) to see. The Celtic core support buoyed by the fair-weather fans made a great noise too.

The game was a bit of a dull affair, Celtic’s central defenders played well, Meelan were never really troubled by Celtic’s attacks and overall Neil Lennon ruined it for everyone. If I was him and I found myself of no use to my team, I’d be brave and humble enough to admit it, I’d ask to be replaced on the pitch. The manager gave him enough of a chance to improve his play, but he didn’t. Finally, Neil was substituted, and when this happened, I was appalled; he flung his captain’s armband to the ground (the most energy he had expelled all evening) and trudged off like a spoilt child. It was good to get rid of him for at least 10 minutes, having said that, on came the useless Tommy Telegraph, who I grudge his appearance fee bonuses on top of his mammoth weekly wage.

They’ll go to the San Siro in Meelan for the return leg, they’ll try their best, but I don’t hold out much hope. It was nice to be part of the atmosphere on the night and good that Celtic weren’t defeated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counter